Sunday 6 March 2011

pancakes

I'm at the cottage after a fortnight of long houred days at work. I have really enjoyed being in the kitchen a lot (I'm supposed to be semi retired). I love being in control of the day time menu, creating new dishes, buying in new products. However, when Glen asked me to swap days and work today (Sunday) I knew I just couldn't do it. Most unusual for me to say no to anyone.... customers, staff or family, but I know my limits!. So here I am, with the fire lit, and the newspapers strewn around me. I always read Nigel Slater in The Observer, Diana Henry in The Sunday Telegraph, and Skye Gyngell in The Independent, and between them, they keep me thinking about foodie things. Nigel came up with a buckwheat pancake recipe which I want to record here. Hopefully they will be on our menu next week. (I haven't read any books by David Tannis, but he is the author of Heart of the Artichoke)

DAVID TANNIS'S BUCKWHEAT GALETTES WITH HAM AND CHEESE
serves 4
1 cup/160g buckwheat flour
1/2cup/65g plain flour
2 eggs
21/2cups/600ml milk
1/4cup/45g roasted buckwheat groats, finely ground in a coffee grinder
a couple of tablespoons melted butter
6 slices ham
2 handfuls grated comte or gruyere cheese

Whisk together the flours,eggs milk, salt and groats. Put the batter in the fridge for 2 hours or over night. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Rub a little butter around the pan with a paper towel, and ladle in some batter to just cover the pan. Let the galette brown on one side, then flip it over. Then repeat with the rest of the batter.
To fill the galettes, lay each one top-side down, place a slice of ham on top, sprinkle with cheese, and fold. Put the galettes on a baking sheet and drizzle with melted butter. Put in a preheated oven (200c/gas5) until crisp. Serve with salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment